Habitat for Humanity ReStore originally began with the Austin, Texas Habitat for Humanity in 1992. Habitat for Humanity ReStore is a non-profit retail outlet specializing in the resale of quality new and previously owned building materials, home furnishings and appliances at 50-75% off retail prices. Today, some 500 Habitat ReStores in 47 states are raising funds to support their affiliate missions of housing people in need. Midland County Habitat for Humanity established its ReStore outlet in August of 2006.
How Does it Work?
Individuals and businesses donate merchandise and building materials to the ReStore. Habitat employees and volunteers process the donations, stock and organize the store and assist customers with questions and purchases. In return, the community receives terrific bargains at the ReStore. Profits go back in the Midland County Habitat for Humanity to help build and revitalize homes for low-income families in Midland County.
Reuse and Recycle
ReStore resale outlets provide an environmentally and socially responsible way to keep good, reusable materials out of the waste stream while providing funding for Habitat’s community improvement work. Through ReStore donations, we have diverted millions of pounds from the landfill.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Our staff is here to assist you. Come on in and meet our ReStore Manager Dan Laabs and say hello to all of our helpful ReStore staff members!
Donate your materials to the ReStore!
Midland Habitat's ReStore depends on the generosity of homeowners, contractors and corporations for donations of new or gently used appliances, furniture and building supplies. These products are sold to the public at discounted prices or used in the construction of Habitat homes. Donations can be dropped off during regular store hours and pick-up service is offered for large donations. Items picked up from a home or business must be on ground level and easily accessible. Items will be evaluated at time of pick up by the drivers who have final discretion during donation pick-ups.
Your donations may be tax deductible!
- Furniture & Housewares
- Building Materials
- Kitchen/Bath Countertops & Cabinets
- Tools & Garden Equipment
- Architectural Items
- Functioning HVAC & AC Items
- Autos, Boats & RV’s
- New Carpet
- Home Décor
- Books, Music, DVD’s
- Mattresses & Box Springs
- Patio Furniture
- TV's with DVD or VHS
- Flatscreen TV's
* We are currently not taking paint at this time due to the overwhelming donations we have received.
We will let you know when we will be accepting paint donations again
- Car Seats
- Dishwashers - Due to EPA Regulations
- Chemicals (solvents, flammables)
- Oil Based Products
- Textbooks, Manuals or Encyclopedias
- Opened Paint
- Used Sliding Glass Doors
- Faucets & Water Heaters - Due to EPA Regulations
- Pianos & Organs
- Single Pane Windows
- Triple Track Wood Windows
- Tube TV's & Box TV's
- Aluminum & Vinyl Blinds
Questions about what we accept?
If your company would like to donate a large quantity of building materials, furniture, and/or appliances to MCHFH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 989.835.6265.
ReStore Wish List
Lawn and Garden Tools
Mowers and Trimmers
Keyed Entry Locks and Deadbolts
Employment at the ReStore
Position: Sales Associate/Driver
Description: The Sales Associate/Driver at Midland County Habitat for Humanity ReStore is primarily responsible for handling customer donations, including loading/unloading vehicles and customer service. This is a part-time position, non-exempt.
Reports to: The store manager, assistant/manager and/or shift supervisor.
Duties in this job include:
- Employee must be 18 years or older, have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Ability to lift 50lbs unaided, assist with loading and unloading of merchandise
- Provide excellent customer service through verbal and written communication
- Demonstrate understanding of the Habitat mission through daily work
- Clean and organize merchandise in the store and stockroom
- Have complete knowledge of store policies and adhere to all store policies as found in the ReStore manual, including proper lifting and understanding of the safety plan.
- Knowledge and understanding of pricing structure of store product
- Complete knowledge of product in the store, including available product, location, storage and placement of items on shelves.
- Knowledge of donation area including items the ReStore does not accept, ability to sort donated items, review and check items for proper parts, safety and in working condition, and complete an accurate donation slip for the customer of items donated.
- Working knowledge of the store as it pertains to assisting customers
Additional requirements for Drivers
- Adherence to rules of the road at all times
- Ability to drive 20 foot cargo truck, including knowledge of basic maintenance of the vehicle such as lights, oil, etc.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work directly in a customer’s home demonstrating proper respect for the customer and their property at all times
- Accurately record items donated
- Accurately record daily/weekly maintenance checks on vehicles
Please email resume to email@example.com or drop off your resume during ReStore normal business hours.
Volunteering at the ReStore
The Habitat ReStore couldn’t exist without the help of volunteer staff. These volunteers are crucial to the store’s day-to-day operations. Individuals interested in volunteering at the ReStore must complete a volunteer application and must be able to make a weekly or monthly commitment.
Volunteer Roles Include
Volunteer ReStore Associate:
- Greet customers on the sales floor and assist with their needs
- Help keep display areas and aisles safe and organized
- Communicate pricing to customers and cashier; tag items with appropriate forms
- Assist in moving items to and from receiving
- Educate customers on the mission of Midland County Habitat for Humanity and the ReStore
Volunteer Donation Pick-up Assistant:
This position requires small hand tools, ability to lift 50 lbs or more, stand squat and climb in/out of the truck.
- Ride with the truck driver to assist with loading and unloading donations
- Screen products for usability and distribute donation receipts
- Communicate with ReStore staff to schedule pick-ups
Volunteer Marketing Assistant:
- Assist with set-up of eBay, Craigslist and/or other online sales accounts
- Recommend and select items to post for online sales
- Package and ship items
- Post photos of merchandise to social media accounts
If you are able to assist in other ways not shown here, let us know! We’re always looking for fresh ideas and innovative ways to involve volunteer staff.
Sign Up as a ReStore Volunteer
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday:
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Register by Phone
Call 989.835.6265, at least two weeks in advance prior to the day(s) you wish to volunteer.