Midland County Habitat for Humanity welcomes volunteers of all ages, races, nationalities, religious affiliations and economic levels. Although liability concerns prevent us from allowing minors under the age of 14 on building sites during construction, they are welcome to help with non-construction related activities. Some tasks require licensed contractors or skilled volunteers. Other tasks can be learned on the job.
We build and repair homes throughout the year, and we want your help--whatever your skill level is! Volunteers work on our each week from Monday through Friday, 9:00am am to 4:00pm. You can sign up to help as much or as little as you want.
Bring your company, team, organization or school to Midland County Habitat for Humanity for a day of volunteering together and having fun—all while making an important contribution to Habitat’s mission of building homes in partnership with families in need. To schedule a team volunteer day, please contact Lauri Ireland, Community Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 989.496.0900 ext. 24.
There are two ways for your group to volunteer:
1. Sponsoring a Team Build Day on our construction sites
Your group invests in Habitat's mission by sponsoring its Team Build Day through a tax-deductible financial donation. Your contribution helps Habitat cover the costs incurred by your team of 10 volunteers and pushes our affordable housing projects closer to completion.
2. Team Volunteering at the ReStore
Teams can volunteer at the Habitat ReStore without a financial donation (although donations are welcome). All ReStore revenue goes towards future homebuilding projects—which means that volunteering at the Restore directly helps us raise money to build more Habitat houses! Volunteers help process, organize and stock donations, and provide customer service to visitors.
MCHFH is currently working on Youth Program. Check back with us soon!
Job Site Safety
Safety is a priority for Midland County Habitat for Humanity. We recommend all volunteers helping at a construction site watch the "Volunteer On A Habitat for Humanity Job Site" slideshow on the Free Volunteer Safety Training Course page. Information to log in to the safety training can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you do not need any experience. Our site supervisors will give you all the onsite training you need each day. All skill levels are welcome and appreciated!
Expect to have some fun, learn new things and work hard. We meet on site each morning and start the day with orientation and training, including a safety talk. We will work in the morning and break for lunch at noon. (Please pack a lunch.) Work resumes in the afternoon until cleanup. Our skilled site supervisors are there all day to lead you
We build year-round on Monday through Friday from 7:30am-4pm.
Yes! Our construction sites provide many volunteer opportunities for groups of 10-15 people. To sign up a group, please contact Meleah Retzloff at email@example.com or 989.496.0900 ext. 24.
Yes! Individuals and groups of less than 5 people can sign up.
Yes, for safety reasons there are some restrictions:
- Chaperones are required for youth under 18 years old
- 16-17 year olds may assist on most construction sites, but may not use power tools or work from a height of six feet or more
- 14-15 year olds may paint and landscape on the construction site
- Youth under 14 years may not volunteer on the construction site, but there are still many youth volunteer opportunities
- Please contact Meleah at 989.496.0900 ext. 24 for more details
- Dress modestly in layers appropriate for the weather with a water resistant outer layer
- Bring a hat to shade you from the sun or a winter cap to fit under a hard hat
- Assume the house is not air conditioned or heated
- Shirts must be worn at all times
- Wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes
- Wear clothes that can get dirty or get paint on them
- We work in light rain, but if there is heavy rain or lightning we will break and allow the weather to clear. If inclement weather persists we will try to move to an indoor site.
- We do work while it is snowing, but we advise all volunteers to use their own best judgment regarding road conditions
Some construction tasks are more demanding than others, but clear communication with your site supervisor will help him or her adapt tasks to your desired level. All volunteers are encouraged to work at their own pace and take breaks when needed.
- Individual volunteers, youth, high school and college groups can contact Meleah: firstname.lastname@example.org, 989.496.0900 ext. 24
- Community/corporate groups and young professionals can contact Meleah: email@example.com, 989.496.0900 ext. 24
- Faith/corporate group leaders can contact Meleah: firstname.lastname@example.org, 989.496.0900 ext. 24
- Fill out our online Volunteer Application
- Safe Work Environments: Whether at a construction site, the ReStore, or a special event, we work hard to keep you safe. Safety orientations kick off every construction day, and safety equipment is provided.
- Productive Work Days: Everything you need (tools, supplies and work plan) will be waiting for you, and by the end of the day you'll see tangible results of your labor.
- Learn New Skills: No experience is necessary—we mean it! Our site supervisors are trained to teach you everything you need to know.
- Patience, Perspective and a Sense of Humor: We work hard and we have fun doing it!
- Prompt Arrival: A prompt start to each volunteer shift ensures we can finish our homes on schedule. Plus, having everyone on hand for orientation makes our work sites safer and more efficient.
- Safety: Please use tools and equipment as instructed and adhere to safety procedures. Closed-toed shoes are required, and each volunteer must sign a liability waiver before working.
- Commitment: If you sign up to volunteer, we count on you, and so do our homebuyer families!
- Flexibility: Sometimes weather doesn't cooperate, a task doesn't go exactly according to plan or we need to refocus our efforts on a special project. Either way, we’ll make it work and hope you will too!
Ready to Volunteer?
Fill out our volunteer application.